So I get asked all the time,
“Why do you want to be a farmer?”
Not only am I asked the question, but before I can answer I hear all the negative reasons for not being a farmer.
“You can’t make money farming, You have to buy all that expensive equipment, It’s up to the markets on how much you make, You work from sun up to sun down”. You get my point?
What’s funny is non of these folks are farmers. They are telling the story they heard as a kid or repeating what the media tells them about farming.
I am always curious of what people feel is the ideal job. Ask me 10 years ago and I would have a different view than I do today.
So here are a few reasons I want to be a farmer.
1. Raise good healthy food for my family and my customers. No chemicals.
2. Take care of my livestock so they can provide for my family and my customers.
3. Take care of the land. Give back. Turn a dead area of land into a vibrant living area.
4. Watch my grown children learn from me.
5. Watch my grand kids have a blast.
6. Fish in the afternoon after the chores are done.
7. Get my dinner from the garden.
8. Walk with the dogs to move the cows to a new pasture.
9. Threaten to eat that rooster that crows too early.
10. Be able to piss and shoot off my back porch without the SWAT team showing up. (or the local sheriff).